Saturday, June 19, 2010

Watkins Glen State Park, NY

Gorge Trail
Approximate Length: 1.5 miles (one way)
Approximate Elevation Change:  500 ft
Trail Footing: Very good (slippery in spots)

Yesterday I went to Watkins Glen; one of the most amazing places I have ever been.  It is a relatively easy walk. The "trail" is difficult (if not impossible) to loose.  I went on a Friday, and the lower parking lot was full.  The path is well traveled and many people were there.

The path winds its way through the gorge.  You will go behind and over waterfalls.  Personally I thought this trial was amazing that it resulted in sensory overload.  You will hear the water throughout most of the hike, and just be amazed at the waterfalls.  This is a place I think everyone should visit at least once.

On the way back, I tried the Indian Trail on the back, but I was not very impressed.  There were a couple of neat spots to look out over the falls, but not as many as I was hoping for.  However, after having used the Gorge Trail, I am not sure much could compare.

Watkins Glen State Park, NY
  • Park Website:http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/142/details.aspx
  • Trail Map: http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/attachments/WatkinsGlenTrailMap.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment