Saturday, June 12, 2010

Morgan Hill State Forest, NY

Approximate Length: 2 miles each way (note need to measure better still)

Approximate Elevation Change: 360 ft


Yesterday, I went to the Morgan Hill State Forest. I learned a good lesson about trying to hike in a NY State Forest: Always plan it out in advance and plan exactly where you are going to try to go. I had a map with me, and planned to just figure it out as I went, this created some frustration, but eventually I did get a decent hike in.

After some driving, at first I went through the forest on a "truck trail." I approached the forest from the North on Herlihy Rd. At the end of Herlihy Road, right before the pavement ends, there is a spot on the side of the road where a couple of cars can park. There is also a parking spot by Spruce Pond a little over half a mile in from where the pavement ends (bear right at the split in the road). Note that the Spruce pond is not on the DEC Forest map below, but the parking is.

You can extend this hike to into the Labrador Hallow Unique Area, and to Tinker Falls, which I cheated and drove to and will be posted soon.

Morgan Hill State Forest, NY


No comments:

Post a Comment